Research Tools for LGBT and Heterosexual History
From OutHistoryJump to navigationJump to search
An annotated, alphabetical list of research tools to help you research lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and heterosexual history.
Also see: Links
OPEN ENTRY: This entry is open to collaborative creation by anyone with evidence, citations, and analysis to share, so no particular, named creator is responsible for the accuracy and cogency of its content. Please use this entry's Comment section at the bottom of the page to suggest improvements about which you are unsure. Thanks.
Brooklyn Daily Eagle Online: October 26, 1841-December 31, 1902
- Because of the enormous number of pages in the entire run, the digitization of the historic Brooklyn Daily Eagle newspaper from reels of microfilm has been broken down into more than one phase. Phase I, which can at present be found on this site, covers the period from October 26, 1841 to December 31, 1902, representing half of the Eagle's years of publication. This period includes all of the years for which there is no index as well as the eleven years during which an index was published. Approximately 147,000 pages of newspaper in various digital formats are contained in this online repository. Access can be gained either by date of issue or by keyword searching.
- This project was produced by Brooklyn Public Library's Brooklyn Collection and funded by the Library and the Institute of Museum and Library Services, a federal agency that fosters innovation, leadership and a lifetime of learning. Free.
New York State Historical Newspapers Online
- "Search Over 18,269,000 Old New York State Historical Newspaper Pages", says the website's tag on December 30, 2011. A privately founded and funded research site. Free.
United States Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI).
- A Guide to Conducting Research in FBI Records. Free.
- Search the FBI website for online FBI files. Free
United States Library of Congress. Chronicling America. Historical American Newspapers, 1836-1922
- A website providing access to information about historic newspapers and select digitized newspaper pages. Free.
- Try "Advanced Search" and search for an "exact phase".
Wikipedia:List of online newspaper archives: international
- United States
- Distinguishes "free" access historical newspaper websites from commercial ones.