Contribution Terms of Service
By using and/or visiting this website (collectively, including all content and functionality available through the OutHistory.org domain name, the “OutHistory Website”, or “Website”), you signify your agreement to
(2) OutHistory Contributors' Guidelines [see below] incorporated here by reference. If you do not agree to any of these terms or the Contributor Guidelines, please do not use the OutHistory Website.
Contributors of Protected Entries may choose to make their articles available under the Creative Commons license. Alternatively, they may limit their contribution to this Website only, in which case a clear Copyright statement will appear on top of the article (for example: By: Jane Doe, Copyright Year of Publication, All Rights Reserved). If you are considering using Website content that has not been released under the Creative Commons license, please contact the author for permission.
Any of the trademarks, service marks, collective marks, design rights or similar rights that are mentioned, used or cited in the articles on the OutHistory Website are the property of their respective owners. Their use here does not imply that you may use them for any other purpose. Unless otherwise stated, OutHistory neither endorsed nor affiliated with any of the holders of any such rights, and as such OutHistory cannot grant any rights to use any otherwise protected materials. Your use of any such or similar intellectual property is at your own risk.
3. Personality rights
OutHistory contains material that may portray an identifiable person who is alive or deceased recently. The use of images of living or recently deceased individuals is, in some jurisdictions, restricted by laws pertaining to personality rights, independent from their copyright status. Before using such content, please ensure that you have the right to use it under the laws which apply in the circumstances of your intended use. You are solely responsible for ensuring that you do not infringe someone else's personality rights.
5. Warranty Disclaimer
You agree that your use of the OutHistory website shall be at your sole risk. To the fullest extent permitted by law, OutHistory, its officers, directors, employees, and agents disclaim all warranties, express or implied in connection with the website and your use thereof. OutHistory makes no warranties or representations about the accuracy of completeness of the website’s content or the content of any websites linked to this website and assumes no liability or responsibility for any (i) errors, mistakes, or inaccuracies of content, (ii) personal injury or property damage, of any nature whatsoever, resulting from your access to and use of our website, (iii) any unauthorized access to or use of our sercure servers and/or any and all personal information and/or financial information stored therein, (iv) any interruption or cessation of transmission to or from our website, (v) any bugs, viruses, trojan horses, or the like which may be transmitted to or through our website by any third party, and/or (vi) any errors or omissions in any content or for any loss or damage of any kind incurred as a result of the use of any content posted, emailed, transmitted, or otherwise made available via the OutHistory website.
6. Limitation of Liability
a. In no event shall OutHistory, its officers, directors, employees, or agents, be liable to your for any direct, indirect, incidental, special, punitive or consequential damages whatsoever resulting from any (i) errors, mistakes, or inaccuracies of content, (ii) personal injury or property damage, or any nature whatsoever, resulting from your access to an use of our website, (iii) any unauthorized access to or use of our secure servers and/or any and all personal information and/or financial information stored therein, (iv) any interruption or cessation of transmission to or from our website, (v) any bugs, viruses, trojan horses, or the like, which may be transmitted to or through our website by any third party, and/or (vi) any errors or omissions in any content or for any loss or damage of any kind incurred as a result of your use of any content posted, emailed, transmitted, or otherwise made available via the OutHistory website, whether based on warranty, contract, tort, or any other legal theory, and whether or not the company is advised of the possibility of such damages. The foregoing limitation of liability shall apply to the fullest extent permitted by law in the applicable jurisdiction.
b. You specifically acknowledge that OutHistory shall not be liable for user sumbissions or the defamatory, offensive, or illegal conduct of any third party and that the risk of harm or damage from the foregoing rests entirely with you.
c. The Website is controlled and offered by OutHistory from its facilities in the United States of America. OutHistory makes no representations that the OutHistory Website is appropriate or available for use in other locations. Those who access or use the OutHistory Website from other jurisdictions do so at their own volition and are responsible for compliance with local law.
You agree to defend, indemnify and hold harmless OutHistory, its parent institution, officers, directors, employees and agents, from and against any and all claims, damages, obligations, losses, liabilities, costs or debt, and expenses (including but not limited to attorney's fees) arising from:
(i) your use of and access to the OutHistory Website;
You agree that:
(i) the OutHistory Website shall be deemed solely based in New York; and
12. No Other Rights
Nothing in this Agreement shall be deemed to confer any third-party rights or benefits.
13. Entire Agreement
All contributors to OutHistory.org aspire to a high standard of reliability as to factual claims. And, as often as possible, contributors provide complete source citations. Contributors also honor the variety of different and sometimes opposed interpretations of data.
- Contributors to this project, support the development of this ambitious, freely accessible, educational website on lesbian, gay, transgender, bisexual, and queer (LGTBQ) history.
- Contributors agree that here, time is of the essence. The basic aim of this site is to provide a specifically temporal, historical perspective on the LGTBQ experience. Therefore, contributors to the site and its producers strive to develop creative, innovative ways of representing history and time, change and stasis in the social life and environments of LGBTQ people -- the “who, where, what, how,” and especially the “when” of their history. To realize this focus on time and history, contributors appreciate that content additions should include dates and time references that will allow users to search for time-coded content and create timelines on specific topics.
- Contributors understand this site to be institutionally based and organized as a not-for-profit educational project intended to operate as a long-term community service. As such, the site will expand and change over time as research, evidence, interpretations and the interests of scholars, contributors, and users change, history moves on, and the present becomes the past.
- Contributors appreciate that present concerns inform research on the past, and that this site can provide illuminating historical perspectives on subjects of current topical interest. Documenting and analyzing the past can help us all better understand the present.
- Contributors will strive to place the history of LGTBQ people and their society within the larger histories of sexuality and intimacy, sex and gender, the polity and economy.
- Contributors will try to situate the history of LGTBQ people in the context of distinctions in age, bodily and mental differences, class, ethnicity, geography, ideology, power, race, religion, and other historically and socially influential divisions.
- Contributors will attempt to understand the history of homosexuals and homosexuality in relation to the history of heterosexuals and heterosexuality, and vice versa.
- Contributors appreciate that this site will serve an unmet need for a major, web-based repository of reliable knowledge and diverse interpretations of the LGTBQ past, supplementing, enhancing, and positively collaborating with other current and future efforts to put LGTBQ history on the web.
- Because volunteer contributors to this site can play a major role in providing it with user-created content, the administrators and producers of the site will do everything they can to encourage such participation. The site’s administrators and producers will provide web-based forms and a framework to encourage submissions by teachers and students, institutionally affiliated and independent scholars, and members of the interested public. The administrators will also solicit content of various kinds.
- Contributors will strive to achieve and maintain the highest possible standards of historical accuracy, whenever possible backing up factual statements by full, detailed citations of sources and the presentation of evidence. They will clearly distinguish factual claims from interpretive analysis and moral judgments, and present disputed facts, interpretations, and judgments as such.
- Contributors to this site understand this project to be a collaborative effort to which many people will contribute work of different kinds: administrative, analytical, copy editing, editorial, financial planning and fundraising, interpretation of evidence, research, secretarial help, site critiques, technical assistance, theoretical analysis, writing, etc.
- Contributors realize that, as a collaborative effort, this site will reflect and express the interests of its diverse contributors and users, aiming at audiences of many kinds, based on distinctions in age, class, ethnicity, geography, race, etc.
- Contributors understand that this site will attempt to highlight traditionally understudied areas of LGTBQ history (that of African Americans, Native Americans, youths, elders, and transgender people, for example).
- Contributors to this site will strive to present written texts in language clear, lively, and engaging, and visual and aural content of kinds appealing to a wide range of diverse users.
- The site will publish content of a wide variety of types: documentary evidence, original texts, republished articles and books and parts thereof, materials about individual lives and group experiences, oral histories, bibliographic sources, static photographs, motion pictures, videos, fine art and popular culture representations, etc.
- The publication of original documents not elsewhere or readily available may turn out to be one of the most valuable services that OutHistory.org can provide. Contributors to this site will thus make a special effort to provide it with copies of such difficult to find court records, diaries, letters, rare printed accounts, ephemera, photographs, movies, TV, audio recordings, etc. Such documents will be most valuable to the site if provided in photographic and/or electronically searchable formats.
- Contributors to this site agree that, in order to maintain its credibility, interest, and variety, its editorial directors and administrators may sometimes need to correct factual inaccuracies, as well as edit, shorten, expand, or eliminate factual and interpretive statements.